We did four or five years worth of makeovers where we would literally ask ... You'd have to write a letter for somebody that you felt was deserving, maybe it's somebody that really couldn't afford to do that for themselves. So we went out in the community and went out and found other medical professionals to be a part of it. So we would pick someone each year and do a complete makeover, maybe $60,000 worth of treatment on them. Everything from their teeth to eyelid lifts to LASIK surgery, hair styles, just really do a full makeover.
So that's one of the really big things. We've done everything from candy buy back for the troops, we ended up collecting 4000 pounds of candy for the troops from local elementary schools. The way that we did that is we gave money to the school that pretty much gave us, that collected the most candy, and then we also did a pizza party for that particular classroom that bought in the most candy. We do dental screenings at the schools each year for dental health month. I mean we do a lot just really in the office from time to time, we may select one patient that may not have that opportunity and give back to them in that way, more of a silent impact, things in the office that we do.
Done a lot over the years but really enjoy getting in the community. We sponsor, during the Christmas time, usually sponsor several families. That patients are kind enough to bring in gifts and stuff for kids. So then we kind of package them up aDnd get to play Santa Claus right before Christmas and take it to where the kids live, and that's a lot of fun, rewarding too.
The American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry has a program that is called Give Back A Smile, and so they do a really good job, they find a battered woman's shelter in the area and they provide us with a name or several names and then we will have them come in and go through a screening process. So I think we've probably been involved with that maybe 10 years or so at this point, maybe longer. And very rewarding again, I mean I've seen where poor women come in and whoever, their boyfriend or whatever, literally one lady teeth got kicked out with a boot. And so we rebuilt her smile and gave her her smile back and gave her her confidence back again and when you go through something like that, that is a big part of it all is just that confidence, and it's really shaken. So if you can give them a smile, that sometimes is enough to kick start them and get them going again in life. So that's really been a really great program that they put on and we've been really excited about being a part of it for so long.
A few of his community service activities include:
- Outreach dental program with area schools. Tieken Smiles Dentistry educates elementary school students about the benefits of good dental health and provides free screenings to children who lack access to regular dental care.
- Tieken Cares. This program provides free dental exams and dental sealants to children whose families cannot afford dental care.
- Give Back a Smile. Dr. Tieken has been honored for his years of service in this program, which provides free repairs for people whose teeth have been damaged during domestic violence or sexual assault.
- Dentistry From The Heart. Dr. Tieken and his caring team participate in this program, which hosts annual events that provide free dental care to those in need.
- Extreme BAM (Bay Area Makeover). Dr. Tieken put together a team of local volunteers to provide smile makeovers to worthy local people who could not otherwise afford them.
- Candy buybacks. Dr. Tieken has “purchased” 4,000 pounds of candy from local school children, donating $500 to their schools.
You’ll feel good getting your family’s dental care from a business that does so much good in the community! Call Tieken Smiles Dentistry at 281-942-6615. Or use our handy online form to make an appointment.