Gum contouring, gum reshaping. You get ... We'll have a patient that'll come in and they smile and they basically say, I have a gummy smile. When you look, you see a lot more gum or gums kind of hanging over the tooth, one lower, one higher and a lot of times, we do this associated with a lot of cosmetic, the veneer cases that we do. 'Cause you'll have a patient that'll come in, Well, this tooth looks shorter. Well, it's not really the tooth that's shorter, it's that the gum hangs down lower on that tooth. Simply by going in with the laser, which is much cooler than the old way we used to do it, earlier you'd cut it with a scalpel. I hate to say that. But you'd cut it with a scalpel, it'd bleed like crazy, and then it would swell like crazy for two or three days and then it would ... With the laser, no bleeding, no discomfort. Most of the time, I don't even have to do anesthetic. A little topical gel. And contour the tissue. No bleeding, no swelling. Literally, I could put the veneer on that day. It's going to be stable. But for somebody that has that gummy smile, sometimes you don't need veneers, you don't need anything, you just need to sculpt that tissue and give it the right height around the teeth. And now all of a sudden, the teeth are bigger, they're longer. They don't look like they're square shaped teeth, you give 'em this contour at the gum line. And it's amazing some of the results that you get. Some of the kids that are in ortho for a long time, the gum kind of almost becomes scar tissue and grows down. So, when you get the braces off, let 'em heal a little bit and you can go through and sculpt that tissue and as a cosmetic dentist, I kind of have that eye for what that tissue should look like. I'm very comfortable in making that contour to make sure that they get really beautiful end results after ortho.
Laser Dentistry Benefits
Before lasers, dentists removed gum tissue with a scalpel. Lasers provide obvious benefits, including:
- Less discomfort. Many patients do not even require anesthesia. If we do use anesthesia, we follow with an anesthesia reversal agent after your procedure. No more hours of unpleasant numbness! You’ll experience less tenderness during recovery too.
- Shorter treatment time. Reshaping gums with a scalpel often requires more than one office visit. With a laser, Dr. Tieken can complete your treatment in a single visit.
- Quicker recovery.The laser cauterizes tissue as Dr. Tieken works. So no stitches are needed. And there is little chance of post-procedure infection.
Providing Expert Cosmetic Dentistry
A member of the Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry, Dr. Tieken has beautified the smiles of pageant contestants, including former Mrs. Texas winners Wendy Gandell and Megan Zucaro. His expertise has:
- Landed him a spot as a top dentist in Bay Area Houston Magazine’s annual Best of the Bay awards for 16 consecutive years
- Earned him a place on H-Texas Magazine’s “Top Dentists” list from 2010 to 2016
- Led him to appear on Consumers’ Research Council of America’s list of top dentists in the U.S.
Creating a Spa-Like Experience
Our spacious League City, TX dentist office almost feels like a spa, thanks to:
- Massage chairs
- Beverage bar in our waiting room
- Headsets that relax you with noise-muffling headphones and an eye mask