Implants are awesome. That's the greatest thing is to be able to take somebody ... Partials are miserable. Most patients that have ever had a partial, they wear their partial in their drawer. They don't wear it in their mouth, because they bob up and down, they rub the gum tissue, functioning, even a denture, really, truly. The more bone you lose, the more wiggly the denture gets.
For an implant for somebody like that, you can take a partial and chunk it, and give them implants in the posterior of the mouth, or in the anterior of the mouth, because they'd be trying to eat corn on the cob or an apple. They cut it up and put it on their back teeth. You can take
Over the years, we've done so many where it's a childhood injury. They fall and they bust their front teeth. Then they end up with a root canal. Then they get a crown over that front tooth. Then they snap the tooth off, or they've had it re-cemented, or patched and everything so many times, they're afraid to chew on it. Now all of a sudden, you put a couple implants in, in the front. They lose two front teeth, you put two implants in. You restore them with crowns that have ... the post is tooth-colored. Everything looks like a real tooth. They smile, they can't tell. Nobody can tell you have implants in. Now they can have an apple. They can eat corn on the cob. They can function again. Or a denture that bobs around.
I had a patient, it's been 15, 20 years ago, 82-year-old woman. She had no bone left. Her denture just ... She was losing weight. She was going downhill. Her family was really concerned about her. We put two implants in, took her denture, put a couple little snap-on pieces inside of her denture. She was able to snap the denture into the implants, no more moving. She put on 10 pounds. It turned her, and she lived to 93, 94 years old. I don't know that she would've made 85, if we wouldn't have done that. She was swallowing her food. She couldn't eat, nutrition problems.
Yeah, you can get the cosmetic side, but for somebody that's had a denture for 50 years or that can't eat anymore, it's ... For fairly reasonable, too, to put a couple implants in, or you can do the Cadillac. We do a lot of All-on-4s where you take all the teeth out, put all four implants in, put a ceramic, basically a ceramic, denture, all porcelain, beautiful lifetime warranty, in our office, put it in, screw it in. Now it's like having teeth again. More expensive, obviously, but if you want something that really looks beautiful that restores everything that you don't have to take in and out of your mouth, that's a beautiful option. You get the cosmetics and the function.
Options to replace missing teeth once were pretty limited. But that’s all changed with dental implants, an incredibly versatile method of smile repair!
They can replace a single tooth or a whole mouthful of teeth. In our League City, TX dentist office, we use implants in combination with different dental restorations, including:
- Dental crowns
- Dental bridges
- Partial dentures
- Full dentures
What’s more, dental implants feel, look, and function like your natural teeth! Unlike other tooth replacement options, you’ll probably forget that you even have dental implants.
Interested in dental implants? Call Tieken Smiles Dentistry at 281-942-6615 to find out more about our dental implant from Dr. Derek Tieken.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implant offer many benefits over traditional tooth replacement options. Among them:
- Appearance. Your dental implants and dental restorations will look so much like your own teeth, chances are good no one will even know you have them!
- Ease of care. You just brush and floss as before. With some options, you’ll remove your dentures for cleaning. But you can forget about messy adhesives!
- Durability. With proper care, dental implants should last a lifetime.
- Security. Because they are embedded in your jaw, your dental implants aren’t going anywhere! No more unwelcome slippage.
- Functionality. Dental implants give you 90 percent of the chewing power of your natural teeth. You can eat whatever you want!
- Preserve your bone structure. Dental implants stimulate your jawbone much like natural tooth roots, so you won’t experience the loss of bone density that happens with other tooth replacement methods.
Dental Implants Explained
Dental implants involve three different parts:
- A sturdy titanium rod that our League City, TX dentist Dr. Derek Tieken embeds in your jawbone
- A piece of hardware called an abutment that is used to securely attach your implant to the restoration of your choice
- And your restoration, the only visible part of your dental implant
Depending on the type of dental implant you choose, you will receive your implant and wait for your jawbone to heal and grow around it – the fancy scientific name for this is osseointegration – before getting your dental restoration. In some cases, you can wear temporary replacement teeth out of our office on the same day you get your dental implant.
Dental Implants at Tieken Smiles Dentistry
We give you multiple options for dental implant, including:
- Traditional dental implant. These full-size dental implant can replace single or multiple teeth.
- All-on-4®. This innovative procedure involves attaching a full arch of replacement teeth using as few as four dental implants. The roof of your mouth remains exposed, so you can more easily taste and enjoy your food than with dentures.
- Mini dental implant. These provide similar functionality to full-size dental implants but can be used in areas that are too small or weak to support the full-size versions.
- Same-day smile. With this procedure, you’ll get a full mouth of teeth on the same day you receive your dental implants.
- Implant dentures. We can attach a set of dentures to dental implants using balls or a bar.
Dr. Derek Tieken is an expert in restorative dentistry and dental implants. He’ll be happy to help you determine which dental implants are best for your situation. Call Tieken Smiles Dentistry at 281-942-6615 for a free consultation. Or use our convenient online form to book your dental implants League City, TX area appointment.