Pain when you chew. I mean, typically I'm gonna get an x-ray, make sure there's no, maybe there's an abscess. We're gonna take a picture, a really close up, what we call an intra-oral picture with our camera, and it's gonna take that tooth from the size of, make it ten times the size that it is so we can take a look, are there cracks or anything in the tooth. A lot of times, if it's pressure, it's gonna have a crack or there's gonna be a high spot of something in the tooth that's gonna be pushing that tooth down harder, or when you bite it's gonna open up the crack that's in the tooth. That's gonna give you the pain. Then, at that point, we determine is it gonna be something that's gonna potentially end up being a root canal or is it gonna something that just needs a crown, or is it fractured beyond being able to restore it.
But that, we have a bite block, or a way to test, when you bite down, to find out, by putting it in different positions of the tooth, to find out maybe where that crack is, and if we can recreate. The biggest thing is recreating that. It's kind of like driving your car. You take your car in and say, ‘Hey, it's doing this,’ and you get it to the dealership and it's not doing it. It's kind of hard to diagnose. So, we're not playing ‘eenie, meenie, miney, mo’ with your teeth. We want to be able to find out exactly, to be able to reproduce that. We're able to reproduce it and it's downward pressure, it's typically a crack and we're gonna end up needing to secure that tooth to where it doesn't split. So, that's why you put a crown over the tooth, to keep it from stretching apart and cracking all the way.
Dr. J. Derek Tieken and the capable team in our League City, TX dentist office can repair your bite so you’ll never have to worry about eating what you want again!
Call Tieken Smiles Dentistry at 281-942-6615 today for a free restorative dentistry consultation.
Dental Implants, Dentures, and Dental Bridges
To replace missing teeth, our possible solutions include:
- Dental implants. Because Dr. Tieken embeds dental implants directly into your jawbone, they provide a stable foundation for dental crowns, dental bridges, and dentures. Implants can replace everything from a single tooth to an entire mouthful of teeth.
- Dentures. We can replace a whole mouthful of missing teeth or just a few teeth with traditional dentures. To give dentures the full functionality of your natural teeth, we can securely attach them to dental implants.
- Dental bridges. We can replace a single missing tooth or a few teeth with a dental bridge. We anchor the bridge to adjacent teeth using dental crowns.
Fixing Breaks, Chips, and Other Damage
We also offer multiple choices for repairing broken, chipped, or cracked teeth. Depending on the severity of the damage, we can use:
- Dental crowns. Because they cover your entire tooth, dental crowns are great for fixing broken or severely cracked teeth. A crown can also be used with a dental implant to replace a missing tooth.
- Dental veneers. Veneers, which cover the front surface of your teeth, are useful for fortifying teeth weakened by minor cracks or chips.
- Inlays/onlays. Inlays and onlays are a cross between a tooth filling and a dental crown. We use them to repair cavities that are too large for conventional fillings.
Tired of your missing and damaged teeth? Ready to get back full chewing functionality so you can enjoy your favorite foods? Call Tieken Smiles Dentistry at 281-942-6615. Or use our online form to schedule an appointment at our League City, TX dentist office.